Fairfield Municipal Court Judge
Background of the Office:
- Candidates for this office are nominated in primaries and elected in odd year general elections.
- Independent candidates appear only on the general election ballot.
- This office will have 1 seat on the ballot in 2025.
- Each term is 6 years. (R.C. 1901.07)
- Each term begins on January 1st following the election. (R.C. 1901.07)
What are the requirements to run for Fairfield Municipal Court Judge?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within Fairfield City.
- Be a registered elector of Fairfield City.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, §1, Art. XV §4)
- Cannot be 70 years or older on commencing date (OH Const Art. IV, §6(C))
- Attend a Judicial Candidate Campaign Practices Seminar approved by the Ohio Supreme Court's Board of Professional Conduct within a year before and no later than 60 days after being certified by the appropriate county board of elections.
How do I run for Fairfield Municipal Court Judge:
- Complete petition form 2-H for party-affiliated candidates or form 3-I for independent candidates. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper)
- Use the Candidate Petition Guide for Partisan Primary Petitions before circulating your petition to prevent any errors that might disqualify you from the ballot.
- Independent candidates should use the Candidate Petition Guide for nonpartisan petitions.
- Required signatures. (F.C.C. Art. X §10.01(B))
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures.
- File petitions with the Butler County Board of Elections no later than 90 days before the date of the General election. (R.C. 3513.251, 3513.261)
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before filing your petition.
- Candidates filing for this office as independents must file their petitions no later than the day before the Primary Election.
- Pay filing fee by check or with the exact change of $45.00. (R.C. 3513.10, 3513.261)
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All candidates running for office who spend any money, including their own personal funds, must file a Designation of Treasurer (Form 30-D) and complete subsequent reports. Candidates for this office should file with the Butler County Board of Elections.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
All judicial candidates must electronically file with the Ohio Board of Professional Conduct (through the Ohio Ethics Commission's website) no later than thirty days before the first election that year in which their name appears on the ballot unless they already hold a judicial office and must disclose by May 15th for the office instead. (R.C. 102.02(A)4)(b))
Contact Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.