Judge of the 12th District Court of Appeals
Background of the Office:
- Candidates for this office are nominated in Primary Elections and elected in General Elections of even years.
- Independent candidates will only appear on the ballot in the General Election.
- There are five Judges of the 12th District Court of Appeals..
- This office will have 1 seat on the ballot in 2024.
- This office will have 2 seats on the ballot in 2026.
- This office will have 2 seats on the ballot in 2028
- Each term is 6 years. (R.C. 2501.02)
- Each term begins on either January 1st, February 9th, or February 10th following the election. (R.C. 2501.02)
What are the requirements to run for Judge of the 12th District Court of Appeals?
Candidates for this position must:
- Live within the 12th District Court of Appeals.
- Be a registered elector of the 12th District Court of Appeals. For a map of the 12th District, click here.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (OH Const. Art. V, §1, Art. XV §4)
- Cannot be 70 years or older on commencing date (OH Const Art. IV, §6(C))
- Must be admitted to practice as an attorney in this state and have, for a total of at least six years preceding the commencement of the term, been engaged in the practice of law in Ohio or served as a judge of a court of record in any jurisdiction in the U.S., or both (R.C. 2501.02)
How do I run for Judge of the 12th District Court of Appeals?
- Complete petition form 2-FJ for party affiliated candidates or form 3-G for independent candidates. (Note: Petition forms should be printed on legal sized, 8 1/2" x 14" paper).
- Required signatures. (R.C. 3513.05, 3513.257)
- Collect between 50 and 150 signatures for major party candidates.
- Collect between 25 and 75 signatures for minor party candidates.
- Collect between 2,446 and 7,338 signatures for independent candidates.
- File petitions with the Butler County Board of Elections no later than 90 days before the date of the Primary election. (R.C. 3513.05, 3513.257)
- Be sure to use the Filing Checklist before filing your petitions.
- Candidates filing for this office as independents must file their petitions no later than the day before the Primary Election.
- Pay filing fee by check or with the exact change of $80.00. (R.C. 3513.10(A) and (B))
What are the Campaign Finance Requirements?
All judicial candidates running for a seat on the Court of Appeals must file with the Ohio Secretary of State.
What are the Candidate Financial Disclosure Requirements?
All judicial candidates must electronically file with the Ohio Board of Professional Conduct (through the Ohio Ethics Commission's website) no later than thirty days before the first election that year in which their name appears on the ballot unless they already hold a judicial office and must disclose by May 15th for that office instead. (R.C. 102.02(A)(4)(b))
Contact Candidate and Ballot Services at 513-887-3700, ext. 3 with any questions or for more information.